Sunday, March 27, 2011

Rock concert art on the inside

On my second attempt I managed to locate the Musee D’art Moderne and spent an action packed day in a state of extreme exhilaration and if the gallery hadn’t been so wonderfully quiet I would have been whooping like mad –insert football team - fan at the grand final. To the casual observer, a person looking at art can appear sombre, or expressionless and possibly even vertically comatose, but I’ll let you in on a secrete … on the inside I’m like a like a teeny bopper at a Beatles concert. I want to go wild and crazy “OHMYGOD Kurt Schwitters, Kurt Schwitters. I just saw a small collage by ‘THE’ Kurt Schwitters AHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!! OHMYGOD I love you!!!” At this point I’m hyperventilating and crying on the inside and I want to scream and throw kisses. I do draw the line at throwing my knickers at the work though, because that’s just a bit disgusting. Instead I maintain decorum and do a little sketch of the piece.




I also nearly went to pieces, but successfully held it together for a retrospective of the Canadian collective ‘General Idea’. These guys are absolutely brilliant and funny, but funny in that arty way which isn’t going to translate very well if I start telling you about it now. Still I spent a good couple of hours having the time of my life. If your interested in artistic process, parody, glamour, cocktails, beauty pageants or poodles then you might want to check them out.
www.aabronson.com/art/gi.org

In the meantime here is one of their cocktail recipes for artists from the series 'The Colour Bar Lounge' as part of the Miss Gerneral Idea Pavilion (which never got built).

1. We start by ignoring the ingredients. It's not what's in this drink that counts
2. but how you drink it
3. We look for a drink that is always on the tip of your tongue.
4. a drink that will not detract the artist from his work
5. but will focus issues, expectations attitudes and proper veneration.

They are for creating 'a potent and illuminating ideal'.